I survied my first hurricane since living here for 13 years. Hurricane Ike made landfall as a Category 2, at Galvenston and then continued upwards. I live 80 miles away so we didn't get any of the 100 mph winds or any of the surge BUT we did get 78 mph winds and LOTS of rain. Since living in Texas I have seen rain blow sideways but never from all directions, like it did with Ike.
Since I have never been thru a hurricane before..I did not know what to expect. I kept thinking it was going to be like the "Perfect Storm" with thunder and lighting..but as Daryl explained to me that there is no thunder and lighting in a Hurricane.
We were very fortunate and we only lost power for a day and we did not have any damage to our house. Our neighbors who live in the two story got lots of damage and they had some flooding in there house.
One of the reason that Ike was SO BAD was that is was like 571 miles across. Even my mom in Ohio felt the effects of Ike when it made it's way up there.....
Houston is starting to get back to normal...there are still 63,000 people in Houston still without power. CRAZY!!!
For Galvenston it will TAKE MONTHS even YEARS for them to rebuild but the people of the island are putting their backs into it and cleaning up to start the rebuild.
Check out this website.....
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html
And Daryl and I want to thank everyone who kept us in their thoughts and prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yikes Ike is so right...can't imagine that many people still without power.. we had to go a few days when Floyd came by.. but not weeks..
I'm so thankful you survived with little damage.
ps.. did you hear that Linda is grandma?
Post a Comment